Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Taking a “News” vacation

This past Easter weekend was filled with family activities, physical labor, and great memories.  Even more importantly, there was hardly any time to use a computer, check the internet, or even watch the local news.  Throughout this weekend, I realized that I did not even miss learning about what’s going on around me, and I found myself even more relaxed.  I’ve come to affectionately call this a mini news vacation.

When you think about it, the news is filled with all sorts of negative information.  After all, is it really news worthy if it doesn’t threaten me in some way?  Listening to this negative material day after day will have an effect on your mental state even if you don’t immediately realize it.  Over time, you may even start to feel afraid of the outside world.  Trouble in the Middle East, a murder on the south side, or even local neighbor disputes can give you the impression that you live in a hell hole if that is the only source of information you have about a region. 

Don’t get me wrong; the news has its place within our modern lives.  The information it provides can be very useful and if efficiently disseminates information no matter how negative that info might be.  I’m not suggesting you eliminate this information from your life completely.  What I am suggesting is for you to take a news vacation.  Cut it out of your life for at least a week once and awhile.  This includes newspapers, TV, radio, and the internet.  After experiencing this for myself, I started to feel more connected to my immediate surroundings.  After all, if you don’t hear about it, what do I care about problems in Korea when it’s nowhere near me?  Problems and obstacles in life seem far more minor and manageable. 

If you are feeling overwhelmed and facing some tough obstacles, then try cutting the news out of your life for a while.  This opportunity will give you the time and clarity to examine the more important problems in your life.

Wonderful Moment of the Day: Roast beef leftovers

No comments:

Post a Comment