Friday, January 4, 2013

Save Some Money on your Cable Bill

We all have frustrations with the cable company.  In fact, back in June Yahoo Finance posted an article listing the top 15 most hated companies, and cable companies racked some of the top spots.  What make this so?  My own opinion is that consumers feel like they're trapped.  With municipalities contracting with certain cable providers, you almost experience a sudo sanctioned monopoly in your area.  What's a smart consumer like yourself supposed to do.  Well, I have one option that saved me a few bucks.

Before you even begin, you need to examine what you really need as far as cable.  Are you really watching the 500 channels you are subscribed to?  Do you just need local access?  Maybe a pair of bunny ears is a better investment?  Do you need cable TV at all?  For me, the last question is a no brainer.  My Wife and I hardly ever watch TV, and so we use bunny ears to get the local channels, and pay for a basic Internet plan.  Needless to say, my cable provider decided to pull a fast one on us a month ago by charging an arbitrary $5 fee per month for renting a modem.  We've had a modem for years, and now the company was just looking for a new source of revenue.  Well, here's what I did:

Cable Company: Good morning, how can I help you?
Me: Hi, I'd like to cancel my Internet subscription.  The price is too high?
Cable Company: OK, well let me just see if we have a promotion for you.

....a minute goes by....

Cable Company: Good news, you qualify for a $7/month discount on your subscription for the next year.
Me: Great, let's do that.  Have a great day!

There you have it.  I just saved an additional $84 in the next year.  It's not alot, but every little bit helps.  What's key in this discussion is that you say you will cancel your Internet.  If you say something like "I see one of your competitors has a lower rate", you probably won't get anywhere.  Cable companies know their competitor's rates, and can probably call your bluff.  If the cable operator starts going through the process of cancelling your subscription, just say no thank you, "I've changed my mind", and get off the phone.  Nothing will happen if you do this.

Hopefully, your experiences with your cable provider will be pleasant, and this article will bring you a little discount in the new year.

Wonderful Moment of the Day: Cat loves new Cat Tower!

2 comments:

  1. I've had a similar experience recently - http://well-lived-life.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/the-banter-requirement.html

    I found just being friendly to the people at the other end of the phone helped a lot.

    The new year is a great time to review all those little expenses that can get out of hand (usually because the companies add on extra fees e.g. your $5!).

    Happy New Year!

    Dom

    ReplyDelete