Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Modern Day Muses - Taking a Vacation

In case you are wondering, I am actually taking a vacation this week from my day job and enjoying all that life has to offer.  My days have been filled with some minor chores, leisure activities, and cooking some great meals.  Throughout this week, I've been feeling better both physically and mentally, and it had me thinking about all the benefits taking the occasional vacation can have.  Whenever I do take a week off from work, it's usually to visit family.  This is often a very nice trip, but it's not the same as taking a week off from life and just staying at home.  Here's some of the benefits I've discovered throughout this week.

1.) Physical Improvements - It might just be due to getting at least 8 hours of sleep a day, but I've found that I do feel much better physically.  Food tastes better going in, I have more energy, and I feel like tackling more of the day's tasks.

2.) Mental Health Improvements - Along with the physical side, my own mental health feels much better (not that it was too bad in the first place).  Using this week for my own benefit has made me feel much more calm and relaxed.  Hopefully this peaceful time will help me going forward when I have to return to the real world.

3.) Improve Relationships - Having the time to do some chores and feel better both mentally and physically has definitely improved my relationship with my own Wife.  We have a really good relationship otherwise, but she has definitely been appreciating coming home to a warm gourmet meal every day.  You know what they say "Happy Wife, happy life"!

4.) Creativity Benefits - Because I'm not focused on my job or any particularly demanding tasks, I've had a chance for my brain to wander.  Whether anything productive actually comes out of these wanderings, it still is important to let your mind do this from time to time.  It may allow you to explore some creative solutions that you would have not thought of otherwise.

5.) Will Improve your Work Performance - This benefit doesn't really help you while you are on vacation, but when you eventually go back to work, you will have much more energy, patience and vigor to complete your day-to-day tasks.  Your coworkers and boss will appreciate that.

With all the "stuff" going on in our lives, it can sometimes be hard to find time to take a full week of vacation off from work.  I've found that a 3 day weekend often doesn't have the restorative benefits a full week can have.  By day 3, you are just starting to feel the benefits when you realize you have to go to work the next day.  Do yourself a favor, and schedule at least a full week for your next vacation.

Wonderful Moment of the Day - Didn't get up until 9am today!

No comments:

Post a Comment