Friday, September 7, 2012

Garden Update 2

Our herb garden
You may have remembered my previous post on my garden and treating it like a small business back in July. I just wanted to give you a little update to how everything is panning out.

If you recall, I spent about $250 to start my garden from scratch and in July I only realized returns of about $23.  Well, here's the new talley:

1.) Pole beans = 78 = $5.35
2.) Baby Carrots = 47 = $2.34
3.) Cilantro = 2 bunches = $3.58
4.) Basil = 5 bunches = $9.95
5.) Sage = 4 bunches = $7.96
6.) Marjoram = 2 bunches = $3.98
7.) Oregano = 2 bunches = $3.98
8.) Cherry Tomatoes = 610 = $60.85
9.) Heirloom Tomatoes = 3 = $3.59
10.) Squash = 6 = $3.66
11.) Scallions = 10 = $2.24
Total Returns = $107.48

Not too bad, and it already constitutes a 43% ROI for the given year.  You'd be hard pressed to find an ROI like that in other forms of investments.  Like a portfolio of securities, you can see I hedged my bets with a diverse selection of plants.  Obviously the cherry tomatoes seem to be my home run, but I have about 20 green heirloom tomatoes just waiting to ripen.

Needless to say, over the course of 2 years, I'm hoping to really improve my return as I will not need to buy the materials to create raised beds.  Also, my compost pile will provide much of the fertilizer I need for next year.

Wonderful Moment of the Day:  Getting ready to go camping for the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment