Friday, August 17, 2012

Try Doing Something the Hard Way at Least Once

When I first set out on my own, I hardly had anything (in fact all my possessions fit in my car), and I set off for my career.  While having pretty much nothing, I learned very quickly that I would need to cook for myself in order to save some serious cash.  I opened up a cook book, gathered the necessary ingredients and began  on my quest towards culinary delights.  Shortly after I started, I looked in my cookbook at a request for pressed garlic (or at least minced).  My roommate at the time happened to have a garlic press, but I refused knowing that I needed to at least learn how to mince some garlic.  The resulting flurry of chops and slashes resulted in a slurry of garlic that looked amateur at best.  Either way, I learned how to mince garlic that day and will carry that knowledge with me for the rest of my life.  Going forward, I actually bought my own garlic press.

The point I'm trying to get across to you is that it is important to at least attempt a new task the manual or hard way at least once.  By doing this, you'll develop a fundamental understanding of how things work together and why the quick option is better.  You may learn some other important lessons along the way such as temperance, patience, and a whole bunch of other adjectives ending in "nce".

Once again, I leave you with a rather brief entry for the day, but hey, it's Friday!  Have a great weekend!

Wonderful Moment of the Day - TGIF!

No comments:

Post a Comment