Monday, December 10, 2012

Save Some Money: Take Care of Your Teeth

This past Friday, I had to go back to my dentist and fix a chipped tooth that looked a little worse for the  are, and I have to admit I was a little worried on how the procedure would go.  I sat in the dental chair, relaxed as I usually did, and was reassured by my dentist that the procedure was rather simple and would only take about 20 minutes.  Events progressed, saliva and tooth particles flew out as the slight drilling progressed, and before I knew it, my tooth was fixed.  It was actually a pretty interesting process, because the catalyst used to make the tooth clay harden was a little wand that emitted ultraviolet light.  He even gave me a demonstration on how it works which was also pretty neat.  

So, what's my point and what am I trying to demonstrate here.  Well, this whole experience got me thinking about dental hygiene and personal finances.  I've always been avid about my tooth care, and have only had 1 cavity in my adult life, so the thought of not taking care of my teeth was never there.  That said, one can save a bunch of money if you do the normal preventative maintenance associated with dental care. 

A quick search around the Internet lead me to discover that the average root canal costs anywhere between $500-$900 if you don't have dental insurance.  Much of this medical treatment is entirely avoidable if you take the time to brush your teeth at least twice per day, floss at least once per day, and use mouth wash at least once per day.  Not only will those preventative maintenance steps save you from future financial distress, but it will definitely save you from physical and emotional sense.  Also, let's not forget the good breath, and general good health that comes from regular maintenance.  If you have bad breath or some other oral problem, you are essentially breathing in all that harmful bacteria and gunk every time you take a breath. Your chances for pneumonia, and getting sick shoot up much higher if you don't take care of yourself.

Finally, if the option presents itself, I would highly encourage you to purchase dental insurance from your employer or even on the open market.  This is something you will use at least twice per year for your regular cleanings, and it can go a long way to keep you a healthy individual.  Generally, dental insurance is also very cheap.

Wonderful Moment of the Day: Sweet, sweet Nutella sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment