Monday, December 3, 2012

The MBA Salary Bump

We all know that higher education can add certain benefits depending on the degree you so happen to be pursuing.  Today, I'll examine the impact of the all American MBA and it's salary ramifications.  First, take a look at this article and the below chart.



The article essentially boils down to post graduate MBA's will see on average their pre-MBA's increase by 81% after they achieve their MBA.  I find this incredibly unlikely given my current place of employment as a case example.  With educational standards increasing throughout the country, obtaining an MBA is almost entry-level stuff now.  For example, someone with an MBA entering our finance division will make between $45-$50, which is incredibly far off from the $120k average their claiming in the article.

Some of you may also know that I'm a about 5 months away from completing my own part time MBA, and I can tell you right now that I don't expect my post MBA salary to increase by 53%.  I can also definitely confirm that I'm not making a high salary to begin with, so I think the article is a little over-zealous.

In the end, getting an MBA is definitely worth the cost, but don't have too big dollar signs in your eyes, as I think these salaries are more of a function of which MBA you attend and not just achieving the degree.

Wonderful Moment of the Day: Borrowing my parents car, because my wife had to use our car, and going 100 mph down main street.....kidding Mom and Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment