Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Home Owner's Shenanigans Conclusion!

Finally, it's all over and I can continue with my life!  If you are not familiar with the slightly dramatic saga of my home owner's insurance policy, then feel free to read here and here.  Needless to say, it was quite a bit stressful and I finally got my act in gear to get everything taken care of.

If you recall from my earlier posts, I had a series of fixes that needed to occur on my property in order for my insurance company to renew me for another year.  Not wanting to have to go through with the burden of finding another insurance company again at the nice price I currently had, I decided that it would make sense to follow through with the fixes.  Besides just complying with the insurance company, the fixes seemed reasonable and were probably needed anyway.  Well, in my blunderous nature, I mistook the due date that these improvements had to be completely as the date that my insurance policy would be canceled.  I actually completed all these requests about a month ago and thought I had until July 1st to get the paperwork in.

Then I got the letter in the mail; "Your policy is being canceled for failure to comply".  Panicked, I called the insurance company, informed them of my situation, and was promptly told that I needed to mail in proof of these repairs ASAP.  At least this type of work is where I excel.  I took some pictures, copied receipts, and put together a 3 page PowerPoint detailing the repairs.  I then expedited the mailing and just received notice that the Insurance company has forgiven me and will renew my contract.

In all this hustle and bustle  I've learned two very important lessons; the first being to read a little more careful, and the second being to never underestimate the power of organization and human intervention. Believe it or not, there is usually a person behind every bill you pay, and it's worth it sometimes appealing to the human side of the company.  At least now, I can sit back and relax knowing that in case of fire, my financial life is not destroyed.

Wonderful Moment of the Day: Got out of work 2 hours early!

No comments:

Post a Comment